Central systems can reduce potable water use by:
- monitoring and managing cooling tower make-up water;
- controlling water bleed in cooling towers;
- storing fire sprinkler test water for reuse during the next test;
- providing central rainwater or stormwater harvesting;
- and providing on-site water recycling.
Potable water use in common areas can be reduced by:
- reducing the water used for landscaping and gardens;
- choosing water-efficient fixtures;
- and choosing water-efficient appliances.